top of page
As part of George Burnap’s design for the park, seventeen “Newport” style gas lamps were installed along R Street, the Ropewalk, and the axis north of the Entrance Ellipse. A lamplighter was responsible for lighting and extinguishing them manually every day, until 1948, when they were mechanized. Over the years some of the lights have been moved, and now those that remain are along the Ropewalk. They were refurbished through a grant from the Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation in 1992.
bottom of page